Coalition to Abolish Death By Incarceration – West, Pittsburgh Chapter
Job Announcement – Community Organizer
The Coalition to Abolish Death By Incarceration – West (CADBI-West), based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is hiring a community organizer. CADBI-West organizes for an end to life-without-parole sentences, which we refer to as “Death By Incarceration” (DBI). We believe that death by incarceration is a human rights violation and an affront to the humanity of us all. The group is made up of family and friends of those serving DBI and other prison sentences; formerly incarcerated people; currently incarcerated people; and others who recognize that ending DBI is an important part of the fight against mass incarceration and for social justice.
The community organizer’s job responsibilities will include:
- Building and mobilizing membership in CADBI-West, focusing on organizing the families of those serving DBI, formerly incarcerated people, and those communities most impacted by mass incarceration.
- Communications work, including outreach to and coalition building with allied organizations; use of social media and media to communicate CADBI-West plans and accomplishments; media outreach.
- Public education and voter engagement: organizing events to educate about DBI sentences and advocate for parole eligibility for all serving DBI sentences; the positions of various elected officials and candidates for political offices on DBI sentencing and related issues.
- Coordinating CADBI-West meetings: sending reminders to members and volunteers, organizing phone calls to stay in touch with members.
- Strategic planning and organizing with CADBI chapters around the state – there are chapters in Philadelphia, Reading, York, Chester, Delaware, and Harrisburg.
Applicants with these skills and experiences encouraged to apply:
- Formerly incarcerated and family members of incarcerated people
- Experience as a community organizer or activist in campaigns or movements for social justice; experience around issues of policing or prisons a plus.
- Able to use or quickly learn Microsoft word and excel; familiar with social media usage; ability to learn or familiarity with e-newsletter platforms; familiarity with basic office technology such as scanners and printers.
- Must be well-organized and pay close attention to detail.
- Able to work well with people.
- Serious dedication to abolishing death by incarceration.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Cover letter explaining why you are applying for this position
- 3 references, 2 professional, 1 personal
- Email all materials to email@example.com
- Applications are due no later than December 21, 2018.
Job pays $15 per hour; 30 hours per week for approximately 7.5 months